The history of Officine Panerai dates back to 1860, when Giovanni Panerai opened a watchmaking shop at Ponte Alle Grazie in Florence. In 1890, his talented grandson Guido Panerai took over the business and relocated it to the Piazza San Giovanni. Preceding the collaboration of the brand with the Italian Navy, Panerai produced mechanical instruments such as depth gauges and compasses. In 1936, the family received an order of a special kind and began to produce professional diver’s watches for the Marines. The Italian Marine Military placed the highest demands on the watch including the need to be waterproof but easily read in any situation. In the development of this pioneering timepiece, Panerai turned to the Swiss company Rolex, which at the time, was already known for its expertise in water resistance.